Blog

5 Things You Should Never Touch In Your House

asbestos in home - levine and sons

There’s something about doing a home project yourself that makes the end result more enjoyable, but some projects are better left to the professionals. Handling unsafe jobs such as mold in your bathroom or a large remodeling project can cause more stress than satisfaction as they may cause harm to your family or your health.

 

Here are some of the things you should never touch in your house:

 

1. Mold. If you smell mold but cannot find it, it’s time to call a specialist to survey your home. It is especially important to make sure that the mold is completely removed from your home by a professional if you have a family member with a mold allergy.

 If there is mold present in your home, there is a chance that moisture has or will create structural problems, and a contractor should be consulted as soon as possible.

2. Asbestos. Usually present in older homes, asbestos is dangerous to your health and should always be removed by a professional. No amount of exposure is safe, but asbestos generally has serious effects on a home when a family is exposed to it on a regular basis over a long period of time. The sooner you call a professional, the safer you’ll be!

3. Water in your basement. If water from a nearby body of water has found its way into your home, your washing machine has leaked, or you had a sewer backup, you should seek professional help to completely clear your basement. Not only is it important to make sure the water is cleaned up entirely, but you will want someone to disinfect the area and check for structural damage, too.

4. Gas lines. A gas line leak may be caused by an appliance not being hooked up correctly and is a very serious problem. Natural gas is extremely flammable and toxic, and it is important not to take any risks by doing a repair yourself.

A professional will safely assist you in repairing the leak and making sure all of the appliances on the line are safe, too.

5. Additions and Remodels. While it may seem fun to tackle a larger at-home project, time is money and the more time you spend trying to complete a project yourself, the more money you will spend. It’s best to consult with a pro who will keep the project on track in the most efficient way possible.

 

Need the help of a plumbing or HVAC professional for a project around your house? Call on the experts at Levine & Sons today! We’ve been serving the Detroit Metro area for nearly 100 years, so you know you can count on us!

Levine & Sons All Rights Reserved 2015