Earlier this week, we discussed the importance of protecting your property from potential flooding in the coming days. Forecasts show that temperatures throughout the Detroit area could rise sharply this week. Some meteorologists predict the temperature could be as high as 45 degrees on Monday. While this is an exciting development, it means all the snow blanketing your property is on the verge of melting, which could cause a host of flooding related issues.
In the blog, we detailed several measures you can take to guard against flooding, including shoveling the snow closest to your home. If you don’t believe these steps are worth taking, here are 7 facts* about flooding that might make you reconsider!
1) In the last 10 years on average, flooding cost the U.S. $2.9 billion annually.
2) A 2,000 square foot home undergoing 12” of water damage could cost more than $50,000.
3) From 2003 to 2012, total flood insurance claims averaged nearly $4 billion per year.
4) A car can be taken away in as little as 2 feet of water.
5) Floods are the most widespread natural disaster aside from wildfires. 90 percent of all U.S. natural disasters involve some sort of flooding.
6) Most homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage.
7) In a high-risk area, your home is more likely to be damaged by flood than by fire.
If you experience flooding in your home, call Levine & Sons. Our experienced technicians will help you clean up the mess and get your basement dry again.
*Sources: FloodSmart.gov; DoSomething.org