Once the windows open up to let the fresh air in, it’s a free for all for flies and other insects to get into your home. Drain flies might be small, but they can be annoying and unpleasant just like any other pest. If your problem is overwhelming, you might need to request the services of a pest control professional, but here are some tips to try first»
- Identify Their Hangout Location- Any drain that has standing water is going to attract flies, but commonly used drains are usually the biggest culprits. The sink drain might also have some leftover goodies to munch on, so this is a good place to start.
- Dry Drains Daily- If you are drying your drains with a blow dryer and still notice drain flies, they could be there for the food. Maybe you have some leftover fruit in the drain or something sweet that is attracting them. Once you dry, pay close attention to see if they stick around that drain or move on to another one.
- Tape Drains- Putting some clear tape sticky-side down over the drain is a good way to catch flies coming from the drain. As they fly up to get into your home, they’ll be caught on the tape and you’ve just created a homemade trap. If you don’t get any on night one, there is no reason to be discouraged. Continue this process for four nights to account for their breeding cycle.
- Shampoo Your Drain- If it is a shower drain that is being affected, you’ll want to clean the hair catcher thoroughly. Sometimes flies and other items can get caught in there and attract more of the same. You should be removing and cleaning this contraption every few months anyway to ensure drain safety.
- Drain Cleaning- Hiring a drain cleaning professional like Levine & Sons is not a bad idea to combat drain flies. We aren’t pest control experts, but our comprehensive drain cleaning efforts can help knock out drain flies at the source. We’ll remove any gunk or debris that might have attracted them to this area in the first place.
If you have any questions about our drain cleaning services, please don’t hesitate to call 1-888-LEVINE1. We are still offering $25 OFF any plumbing repair as well, if you have any additional work for us while we’re there!