Drains are a pain. They are always clogging and we have to be so mindful of what we put into them, that it creates a bigger stress in our lives than it is worth. But what if you always had a backup drain cleaning method you could rely on? What if your friends at Levine & Sons were going to give you the answers right now?! Let’s follow along:
The Bent Wire Hanger
- This trick is simple and effective!
- Take a regular wire coat hanger and straighten it out.
- Bend one end over to create somewhat of a hook on that end.
- Push that hook end past your drain cover and make sure you go down without touching the walls of your drain.
- On the way up, you want to hug the walls and scoop up whatever you can!
Baking Soda Trick
- This is one of the oldest tricks in the book, but it still works like a charm.
- Mix ⅓ cup of baking soda with ⅓ cup of vinegar and pour it in a measuring cup.
- Shoot that down the drain and wait until you hear that fizzle.
- Once you hear that, dump a pot of boiling water down the drain to clear it out.
Dish Detergent Cleaning
- This tip is mostly for your toilet drain!
- Pour ⅓ cup of dish detergent down your drain after you flush out the bowl.
- The dish detergent will work to break up greasy residue.
- After 2-3 minutes, take a pot of boiling water and flush it down the drain.
- You should have temporary functionality before calling in a professional!
Wet & Dry Vacuum
- For anyone who has experienced basement flooding, you know how important these things are!
- Before using it for drain cleaning, make sure you turn the machine to LIQUID.
- Do your best to create a nice, tight seal over your drain and use the attachment if necessary with a thinner opening.
- This can at the very least loosen the clog and allow you to flush the rest away with boiling water.
For more than 80 years Levine & Sons has been solving drain and sewer problems in the Metro Detroit area. If these DIY solutions don’t work for whatever reason, be sure to give us a call and we will have those drains cleaned in no time.
To book an appointment, call 1-888-LEVINE1 or schedule online for fast and easy service!