Mold and Mildew cause health problems that are similar to allergies and they are the leading cause of poor indoor air quality in our area. Sometimes mold and mildew will occur naturally, but often times it is because you are negligent about your cleaning schedule. Try using this easy guide to have cleaner air and a cleaner air conditioner»
- 5-gallon Bucket
- Turn off the unit and remove the plug from the wall. You should also remove the unit from the window altogether.
- Now it is time to start disassembling your air conditioner. Some have a grille in the front that simply snaps off, but others might require a screwdriver. Regardless, it is not a very difficult process.
- Remove the filter that is located right behind the grille.
- Place the filter in your sink with laundry detergent and and warm water.
- Let it soak for 10-15 minutes and then scrub both sides of the filter with a brush or cloth. Something like a brush would probably be better at this point.
- Remove the plate behind your filter and use your vacuum to clean the interior of your unit. If there is noticeable mold growth here, wipe it away with a soft cloth.
- Take that 5-gallon bucket and mix together ½ cup of bleach, 1 TBSP of dish soap and 3 gallons of hot water.
- Using a cloth, spread the solution throughout the inside of your unit and be sure to wipe the surfaces down thoroughly.
- Let it all dry and get it back in the window!
To schedule air quality or air conditioning service, call 1-888-LEVINE1 or click around on our website! We are the cool guys around Southfield, Michigan!