It’s no surprise that burning candles and other open flames are a serious fire hazard inside the home, but what might be surprising is the fact that firefighters still respond to over 370,000 blazes every single year. The first line of defense comes with making sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly and the second line comes with keeping a close eye out for the following potential dangers:
- Electrical Wiring: you may not think twice about your wires as being dangerous because most of them are located behind walls or in ceilings. One of the most effective ways to safeguard your family and your home against faulty wiring is to install arc-fault circuit interrupters which will detect spikes in current and shut the system down before things get out of hand.
- Unorganized Kitchens: 41% of home fires begin in the kitchen and it may make more sense when you think about how quickly a pot holder, paper towels or loose papers can ignite. Keep all of these items at least three feet away from any source of heat in the kitchen.
- The Dryer: you remember to clean out the lint tray each time you do a load, but did you know that lint and other materials can still build up in the dryer cabinet? We recommend hiring a pro to come in and clean out the cabinet and the exhaust vent at least once every other year.
- Sawdust: working on a plumbing or heating project this weekend? Keep in mind that sawdust, although it doesn’t look dangerous, can actually burn up quite quickly. It’s important to keep your work areas clean at all times.
Don’t forget – Levine & Sons provides emergency service 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days of the year. We have the longest warranty in the business and provide pricing up-front so there are no surprises.